Sunday, February 23, 2014

Melt Bar and Grilled - Mentor

So the first time I tried Melt in Cleveland Heights I didn't feel as if it lived up to the hype. It very possibly could have been the 2.5 hr. wait that put a damper on things, but I was less than impressed when I left. I believe back then I had ordered the Parma, Italy. I really had no interest in returning until I got the Cleveland Independent Restaurants deck. Anyone who knows me knows if I can cross something off a list, use a deck from a card, etc. then I am on board. So my family and I decided to visit the Mentor Melt on Saturday.

Here's how it panned out:

Wait - 20 min. Not terrible for 12:30 on a Saturday
Service - Stellar (The waitress did forget my side of mayo but upon reminding her she brought it right out).
Food - Depends on what you get.

I ordered a burger, slightly pink, american cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion and fries. Joe got the Cleveland Cheese Steak (we were told this was one of their best sellers) with fries and a diet coke. Actually, it would probably be more accurate to say I got both entreees as I usually try to talk Joe into letting me pick everything and then we 'share' plates. Olivia got the chicken fingers off of the kid's menu.

The burger was good, loved the fries, cheese steak was ok, and hated the chicken fingers (they were way too deep fried). Good thing Liv liked the chicken fingers, because the restaurant didn't have the milkshake I promised her the whole way there. What?!? It should be some kind of crime to have a burger/grilled cheese joint that doesn't offer milkshakes.

Pro/Con - As we were sitting their eating I realized my card from the deck required that you needed to spend $30 not including alcohol, tax, and gratuity in order to get the $10 off.  Now I was panicked  as I thought we would miss the $30 mark by a buck or so. I scanned the dessert menu and was disappointed by the lack of choices: a piece of apple pie or bread pudding. Yuck! No cheese cake, no cookies or brownies, and no ice cream!

Well, as luck would have it the extra ranch we asked for came in at 75 cents which tipped us over our target. However, I must say that if I  hadn't been trying to meet all of the requirements of the coupon card I would have been livid that I was charged extra for a condiment.

A plus from our visit: I am now a little smarter than I was yesterday. The name tag they gave me as we waited for our table read Natasha Vidal. I had no idea who that was, but thanks to Melt and Google now I do. Do you?


No comments:

Post a Comment