Thursday, January 9, 2014

"Let's go to the movies...let's go see the stars" ~Annie


Last night I watched Bad Teacher. The movie is basically about...yep you guessed it - a teacher, Ms. Halsey, whose pedagogy/instructional delivery is sub-standard at best, but pretty close to non-existent. Said teacher shows her students movies each day of class while she nurses hangovers and schemes up ways to save for her new tits. I felt chastised, like her students, at her shock that I had never seen her first movie selection, Stand and Deliver. Am I alone here? Has everyone else already seen this? (Actually, now that I think about it I may be in the minority considering I have also never seen Star Wars, ET, the Matrix, or Lord of the Rings). So now, I ask you, friends what other gems are out there that I may have missed viewing? A brief synopsis and genre label would be helpful. Some of my faves (that I am shocked some of my family and friends haven't seen are listed below). The first two are oldies but goodies, and the last two are recent finds I came across channel surfing during our free HBO promotion:

1) Swing Kids (Drama) - Get your tissues out for this flick set in Nazi Germany and centered on two best friends that share a love for Swing music; unfortunately one of the two is accused of a crime and sent to Hitler’s youth army where propaganda eventually turns him against his own. 

2) The Story of Us (Romantic Comedy) - The story of a married couple undergoing a trial separation unbeknownst to their children who are away at summer camp. Rent it to see if they find their way back to one another or find happiness apart. 

3) People Like Us (Drama) - A total hottie (Chris Pine) who I didn't know existed until this movie returns home to attend his estranged father's funeral. While there he learns a shocking secret about his family's past that leads him on a journey he never expected. 

4) Seeking a Friend for the End of the World - Omg talk about depressing movies! The title pretty much explains the whole plot.  Steve Carell is as equally engaging in serious roles as he is in comic ones.

This freezing cold weather is perfect for movie marathons so list away (I have already seen Frozen twice in a week!) 

Here are the recommendations I got that I have not already seen:
1. Pan's Labyrinth
2. We are the Millers
3. The Internship
4. Dog Fight
5. Parental Guidance
6. Thor
7. The Holiday
8. The Proposal
9. Much Ado About Nothing
10. Love's Labor Lost
11. Nanny McPhee 1 
12. Nanny McPhee 2
13. Crazy Stupid Love
14. Silver Linings Playbook 
15. Hard Candy 
16. This is 40

No comments:

Post a Comment