Friday, April 3, 2015

Broadway in CLE

So one of my favorite things about this city is that we are home to the biggest theater district outside NYC. Add in the awesome GE chandelier, the plethora of new restaurants, and a great launch party and I love my city even more.
Dazzle the District Images

 Monday night after enjoying an open bar and apps we were the first to learn of the new series lineup scheduled for the 2015-2016 season...


Drum roll please....


After the introduction of the first show Bullets Over Broadway I started getting anxious. While the show itself looks cute, I despise Woody Allen and just sort of wish I didn't know he wrote/directed the show.

A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder looked a little hokey, but seems to be a fan favorite and the 2014 Tony winner so I'm hoping I will be pleasantly surprised with the production.

I was totally intrigued by the concept of If/Then. Who of us hasn't wondered how differently life may have turned out if we had substituted a choice here, picked an alternative there. The plot sounds not unlike the Gwyneth Paltrow movie Sliding Doors from the late 90's. I did, however, hear that the show is confusing so luckily the presenter at Donor Night gave the audience members what may be a much needed hint with the removal and addition of her glasses to illustrate that when the protagonist has her glasses on we are in one version of Elizabeth's life, and when off another.

Soooo excited for Beautiful - the biography of Carole King with such iconic songs as Locomotion and You've Lost that Loving Feeling. I also think a 'beautiful' sweatshirt souvenir will be perfect for yoga. I don't know if these yet exist, but I'm still kicking myself for not buying the bright yellow sweatshirt from this year's production of Motown, that I'm already planning ahead ;)


I was also pumped to see Matilda in the lineup and had planned on taking Liv, but after seeing a trailer for the show, it is looking rather dark for a five year old: Matilda Trailer.

And seriously who hasn't cried their eyes out to the movie Steel Magnolias. Pumped to see how this translates to the big stage.

As for the 'headliner' of the series, I am a  disappointed but only because I've seen Phantom so many times already. I was happy, however, to see that this was the only repeat in the series from the past few years. I plan on using my swap-a-show donor option to switch this out for Annie or Wizard of Oz.

Here's to another great season ahead and looking forward to hearing reviews from all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment